Good morning Saloners. What exactly am I celebrating today? Well, I’m a bit early but I’m celebrating 500 posts. Today is #499, but since #500 will be tomorrow’s The Odyssey Readalong Check-in the Second, I thought–I’ll celebrate early!
I started blogging on June 5, 2007 at Trish’s Reading Nook. Shortly afterwards, I created a personal travel blog, Love and Travel. January 2010 I created Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity when Love and Travel didn’t cut it anymore. In March 2010, I followed suit with Trish’s Reading Nook and combined all my posts into this one blog. The transition was a really tough one–going from over 500 subscribers to 20, but now I couldn’t be happier with the decision. Sometimes I still have to remind myself that it’s my blog and I’ll blog how I want to. And as my coworker says “I am not an octopus.” I cannot be everywhere at once–some weeks I can only be here and barely here at all. The guilt of not being able to be a rockstar commenter anymore is mostly gone now, and I am finally allowing myself to just be. Amazing how it took 499 posts to come to these realizations!
Over the past three and a half years and 500 posts, I’ve shared a lot with my readers (and how lucky I am to have THE best readers in the whole of the blogosphere). I’ve shared my reading thoughts and book reviews, I’ve shared the trips I’ve taken, favorite recipes, my first machine quilted quilt, the exciting things in life and the not so exciting. I’ve hosted three reoccurring challenges (The Classics Challenge, The Non-Fiction Five, 100 Mile Fitness), joined many of your challenges, and even suffered through a few readalongs. I’ve added hundreds of books to my shelves, joined that thing called Twitter, and met so many wonderful people.
500 posts. For some this is a drop in the bucket, but personally I didn’t think I’d stick with blogging this long. There were times when blogging took over my life and times when I discarded it completely. But what an outlet it has been–I realize that while I’m not a “writer” I do love writing and exploring thoughts through the written word. How lucky I am that people are actually listening to my drivel? Ha! I asked around on twitter the other day on how to celebrate 500 posts and got two great ideas–my top 10 posts and ask me anything.
Top 10 Favorite Posts:
- Sunday Salon 1: “Introducing Trish” where I also comment on the community versus connection.
- South Dakota/Yellowstone Roadtrip Pics – a totally awesome trip!
- A very personal reading/review of Speak
- Twilight Review The one where interview myself admit my huge crush on [literary] Eward
- Review of The Complete Maus. Such a fantastic book. As I said then, “Go read it. The End.
- Disappearing Nine Patch Quilt – the quilt that just wouldn’t quilt itself (ps–have made no progress on Scott’s quilt.)
- I’ve done a number of vlogs, but the Cheerleading Vlog during last readathon takes the cake
- Trip to New England October 2008
- [Ir]Rational Fears: Arachnophobe to the Extreme – is just what the title promises
- The recent annoucement of Baby Billy Bob coming next April
500 posts and no About Me section? Lisa suggested an “Ask Me Anything” session. You ask me anything, and I’ll tell you the answers. Sure, many of you know me better than my own mother (slight exaggeration)–I’m a bit of an open book, but anything [appropriate] goes. Questions don’t have to be “about me” material, but hopefully I can get some prompter questions to get an “about me” section started. I’ll write up the answers in a separate post.