Thursday, October 20, 2011
Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon starts on Saturday October 22nd.
YAHOOOOOO!!! Someone joked with me the other day that I must be the Readathon's biggest fan. Sometimes I feel that way. The readathon is the ONE day (or two) during the year when I allow myself to ignore all the "should dos" and just read and blog and cheer. During this time I think about Dewey a lot and goodness I think she would smile to see what her readathon has become and how it has lived on. Love.
So, if you've been hanging around here for long enough then this post might look familiar to you. I think this is my 7th time participating in the event? I won't be attempting the whole 24 hours, and big thanks to my mom and Scott for taking Elle during the day. I'll probably spend more time on the computer cheering than reading but I. Can't. Wait. Seriously!
My Tips for a Successful Readathon
1. Get organized early - big stack of books, pre-made meals and snacks, cleaning out of the way
2. Choose a variety of books. Set them aside so you don't have to stare at your shelves. And if you can't get into a book, abandon it!
3. Stay involved! Whether this is through blogging updates, mini-challenges, or cheerleading, I promise that those who interact during the event have more fun. If you're on twitter, follow the #readathon hashtag.
4. Find a routine and stick with it. This includes a template if you are doing blog updates. Anything that will cut out a few minutes here and there and allow you to fully participate
5. It isn't the end of the world if you can't read for the whole 24 hours. Know your limits!
6. Rest your eyes. It's OK to take a break. Go for a walk! Or have a danceathon in your living room. The break will help you stay refreshed.
7. HAVE FUN!!!!
La la la la la. What tips do you have to share???
Some Readathon House Cleaning
1. Apologies for clogging up your feedreader on Saturday. I plan to post an update every 4ish hours. And I am already mentally planning my kickoff vlog, so don't miss it!
2. And apologies for clearing anything not read by Saturday in my feed reader as read and not reading any non-readathon posts. Wahhhhh....sorry.
3. PLEASE turn off your word verification. Just for the event. Make sure that it is easy for people to comment on your blog!!
4. I'll be co-chairing the cheerleaders with Erin Reads (serious kudos to her, you guys, for so so much work) so I'll be doing more hanging around than reading. I kind of thought to myself that I could probably read the most books if I just read Elle's books all day but not sure how many times I can read Moo, Baa, La La La in a day. ;)
More?? Ok, if nothing else...these are the most important:
Sign up to participate in the Readathon
Sign up to Cheer (yes, we still need you!!)
Readathon Cheer HQ with tips and a list of all the readers.
Spreadsheet that I CANNOT readathon without (please make it work for you and share)
So, if you're still with me--tell me your readathon tip or what your most looking forward to during the event!