The other day I was driving home and I suddenly craved Chicken Pot Pie. The homemade variety. I remembered a recipe my sister, Brooke, tried and emailed me once upon a time, so I had her text me pictures of the recipe so I could grab the ingredients from the grocery. ZOMG was this Chicken Pot Pie good. You can find the original recipe on Allrecipe.com; I took some shortcuts with my pie.
Chicken Pot Pie
1 rotisserie chicken (I used breast meat only)
1/3 cup butter
2 carrots, sliced
3 ribs of celery, sliced
1 cup frozen green peas
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup milk
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
1. Preheat oven to 425⁰ Fahrenheit
2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and sauté carrots, celery, onions, and green peas until veggies are soft and onion is translucent.
3. Stir flour into the vegetable mixture and slowly add chicken broth and milk. Continue to stir until mixture is smooth. Add salt, pepper, and celery seed.
4. Simmer over medium-low heat until sauce thickens.
5. Place cubed chicken in bottom pie crust and pour the thickened sauce mixture on top of chicken. Be careful not to fill pie over the brim.
6. Cover the pie with top crust and seal the edges. Cut away and discard any excess dough. Cut several small slits into the top pie crust to allow steam to vent.
7. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes until the pie crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
I mean seriously. Doesn't that look divine? Brooke adds a little potato (diced and boiled--see her note in the comments) to hers so I might try that next time. Maybe a bit of corn in addition to the peas? And perhaps some thyme or some other spice to give it a little more seasoning. But even still...deeeeeelicious.