What do you mean today is the last day of January?? Are you sure? As I’m still transitioning to life with a newborn…and three kids, I thought about skipping this post when I didn’t get it up by the beginning of the month, but it’s tradition. Plus eventually life will smooth out and I’ll be able to think about more than when and what my children ate last.
When I look back at my list of things I wanted to do in 2015, I didn’t complete everything that I set out to do (I rarely do), but I’m pretty happy with the year and what I accomplished. I finished that dang Christmas quilt that I’ve been working on for years and I finished sewing all of my hexies together. I made two quilt tops for the (big) girls and made pretty substantial progress on a quilt top for a class I was taking. While I always wish I could spend more time in the craft room, I was able to steal quite a bit of time!
On the book front, I read the most books last year than in the past five–largely thanks to adding audiobooks back into the rotation since I went back to work. I wanted to read three books published before 1900 and I only read two that qualified but I did read two others that were published in 1900. So. It was a great reading year!
I had a lot of fun cooking from my cookbooks and even opened up a challenge until I decided to transform that into a crafty type challenge. Sadly neither took off the way that I hoped, but that’s the way of things. I’d like to do more cooking from cookbooks in 2016 as well as get back to Operation Use My Kitchen Stuff (to test out my new Instant Pot!) The “thing” that I continually (ahem) fail at is journaling. I really really would love to be a journaler, but I just don’t think I am. Maybe this year. Ha!!!! (Though I am totally intrigued by bullet journaling).
The things I want to do in 2016?
- Read Lonesome Dove (for no other reason than it’s sitting on my shelf)
- Read 36 books // Two books published before 1800 // Two books published before 1950
- Finish Cara’s baby quilt, finish Elle and Evie’s quilts, finish the hexie quilt top (borders), and the Stitcher’s Garden top
- Make two new recipes a month–ideally using my cookbooks/recipe scrapbook
- Run a 10k (no really! I’ve had this on my list for years, but this IS the year I will do it!)
- KonMari/Organize my house. I think I struggle with this one because it’s hard to measure completion–or is organization ever complete?
- Get back into blogging. Like really. I’ve been struggling with this one lately–while you guys are so sweet to have stuck with me over the years, I feel like I don’t really know what I want my blogging purpose to be anymore. I LOVE blogging and I LOVE connecting, but it’s almost like I’ve forgotten how. Most of you will say not to worry, but it really has become such an integral part of my life over the past nine years.
I’d like to get into shape (in due time) and figure out some kind of jouraling that works for me. I’d like to be more mindful and be better about putting my phone away while I’m around my littles. I want to be more patient–with the littles, my husband, and myself. It’ll be a busy year, especially when Elle starts kindergarten in the fall (how the heck did that happen?!), but I know it’ll be a great year.
What are some of the things you’d like to do in 2016?