I am SO EXCITED to share these pictures of the 100% finished Christmas Quilt. You know–the one that I started right after Elle was born? And in case you need a refresher, Elle was born in 2011. Ahem.
All those years ago, I joined a year-long virtual quilting bee with my cousin, sister, and 9 other gals. Each month one member would send out fabric to the others with directions on a block (or two) to make. It was a lot of fun and definitely helped build my confidence with sewing and experimenting.
As my month was November, I thought it would be fun to send out Christmas fabrics. I knew it wouldn’t be possible to finish the quilt by Christmas, but apparently in 2011 I was optimistic that I’d have the quilt finished by 2012. Dear Past Trish: you’re cute. And delusional.
This beast is 72″x84″ (6 x 7 big squares) and without sitting down and really thinking about it, I’m not sure now how many of the squares were made by the girls in the quilting bee and how many I completed. I’m guessing probably a quarter of the quilt squares were made by others.
It was so fun to receive the squares back in the mail and see everyone’s interpretation. I chose a square within a square theme and didn’t give very much direction other than wanting 12″ and 6″ squares. Most of the fabric is stuff I sent out and later purchased when I realized I needed more, but some of it is from the other participants.
The sock monkeys and the Grinch patterns are some of my favorites and play a big role in our family Christmas stockings as well. I can’t remember all of the different fabric lines involved now but I believe that most of it is Moda. The back and binding is from Joy by Kate Spain for Moda. After I ran out of my initial fabric scraps, I bought a jelly roll from this line to finish it out and it worked perfectly. Ok, I googled and the sock monkeys are also Moda and the Grinch is from Robert Kaufman.
I finished this quilt top when I was pregnant with Evie. And then it sat and sat and sat for years. Finally when I was 8 months pregnant with Cara, my dear sister helped me baste the quilt and I spent my lunch hour over the next month machine quilting. Part of the reason why it took me so long is I had to work up the courage to free motion quilt, something I had only done in tiny bits before. I was also using a variegated thread and that made me nervous. Thankfully the nature of the quilt back is incredibly forgiving as all the loops from the lightbulbs hide some of my less stellar quilting.
Overall, I’m very pleased and my only major oops was when I accidentally quilted my backing folded over on one of the corners and had to unpick all those stitches. It isn’t perfect, but it will be much loved.
Technically I finished binding the quilt a few weeks after Cara was born, and I didn’t stitch the label until August of this year. But I’m going to go ahead and count this thing as finished in 2015.
Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for her Friday Finish.